Thursday, July 22, 2010

Come Walk With Me
At midnight, under the brightest moon of summer, I went to the circus. The vast tent was dark. The band instruments had been put away, the tiger cages were covered with tarpaulins and the clowns and acrobats were asleep.
It was as still as a cloud, and very little like a circus. But that did not matter. I had come to see the elephants.
I had seen them during the day, shifting anxiously from foot to foot shaking their heads as if to dislodge unhappy thoughts. They had seem driven mad by the noises of the crowd. Now, in the dark, they were different. Seven lay sprawled on the ground, like shadowy boulders given over to the trust of dreams. Three stood swaying over them, their trunks making gentle tracings on the sides of their sleeping comrades. After the confusion of the day, they seemed at peace with the night illuminated with a quiet wisdom. And that was what I longed to share with them.
In such night-time moments, I became an explorer. " I have been one acquainted with the night", wrote American poet Robert Frost. "I have walked out in rain and back in rain.... I have out-walked the furthest city light". The night is one of man's last remaining adventures. If job and family were to keep me from exploring distant mountains and deserts, there are still the unmapped regions of the night to wander.
Night's gifts are out of the ordinary, ecstatic, and always unexpected. On a warm summer evening, I have turned to see a full moon, huge and orange as a pumpkin, grinning over a near-by ridge, bursting with mirth and spilling its dazzling light over the hillside. It made me laugh out loud, thrilled me with an exuberance of discovery I had thought only a child could feel. I have stood in the mountain meadows with jackals singing around me, until the howling and yipping of a dozen wild voices made me feel like a jackal in spirit.
I have been a night-walker since i was a boy. The risks of darkness, despite frightening the crap out of me, challenged my imagination even then. Tradition holds that night is another country, edged with danger, a metaphor for evil, death or ignorance. Night is where the devil waits, witches cackle, where beasties scurry and hide and there be all sorts of monstrous, faceless things that go bump in the dark. But to a boy, these adventures are one with Never-never-Land!!
Resuming night walks as a legalized adult, I found that grown-up anxieties had given a new edge to the adventure. The flapping wings of a mourning dove were enough to chill my bones. So, now my night walks into the hills near my Kannur home, I carried a torch and a stick, timorously arming myself against the unknown.
But gradually I dispensed with my bubble of light, and climbed higher; one night, looking down on the dazzle of the city, far below, I began to see how sad is all that energy burning in the night.
The sadness of city light, the hard, staring glow of neon lights, made the night less fearful to me. Outdoors, in the dark, one gradually outgrows the sense of risk, and then the night becomes something kinder and more generous, a meeting ground of reason and emotion, a place where mind and soul can work together.
But by day, we put away feelings, and are wonders of reason. But we feel we must be more. We have complexes and powerful emotions. Reason and feeling ought to work together. I suspect that their natural meeting place is in the dark.
But night is a puzzle that reason cannot adequately answer or emotion can entirely rule.The ancients linked the night with poetry, magic and madness; we know only that there is something in us daylight leaches out. The dark need not make one fearful; it can make one reverent. At night we are closer to our spirit natures. So night walking is a quest for spirit. And I believe that I have caught fleeting glimpses of the quarry.
Summer nights are a good time to hunt. Near my home, the moon bathes the dry brown grass in almost enough light to read by. Walking the hills at night, one must trust as much to nose and ears as to eyes, which ties you to the creatures of the night. An owl flashes across the sky, as bright as quicksilver, and you can feel the concentration in his eyes, taste his longing for mouse. A sleeping dove bolts from a bush, terrified by the nightmare of your approach, and your heart flies off with the bird. At such times, one is not a man, not a spirit, but something in between: a movement, a thought, a feeling. It is at once comforting and exhilarating.
To those who haven't tried it, I say, come walk at night. Begin in your own backyard. Go from there to safe rural roads, ideal in moonlight. Take your bubble of light and your trusted mighty walking stick along at first, if you must; you'll soon discard them. For all that is required to seek night's adventures and gifts is an open heart and a desire to understand (and probably for beginners, some guts and bigger nuts). At night, wrote Henry Beston, "A new door opens for the human spirit".And when I stood besides those elephants that night, I am sharing the ponderous dreams of giants, sharing the peace of the night

4 comments:

  1. AS IT GOES................

    brother bear has finally woken up from his self implemented hibernation and that too with a bang.......(hmm, not literally, that essay which flooded us with that maundering words and made us feel that the English language which we studied is actually some Indian dialect and the actual English is something alien and is out of reach for the lesser creatures like you and me. I always awe whatever I cannot understand with a sense of respect, (whatever crap it may be) and that is why I respect 'maths' and 'Marks' (Carl) so much.

    The adventure in the night, may sound like a Sherlock Holmes tittle or for lesser mortals an Agatha Christie title. But by the first look of it, one may tend to think that one of the characters from a Rudyard Kipling book, preferably a "Jungle book", have come out and set forth for a miss-adventure in the night. But like a good old Woudhosian character, our man was searching for elephants in the circus! holy Christ! May be, if we think in terms of his name, we may well understand the significance of searching for an elephant. I think, (let me take a precautionary bail here,it is just an assumption based on my instinct and not intended to hurt anyone) he was searching for an attractive, may be an Aishwarya Rai among lady elephants as the month of "Maakha" and the full moon is more than tempting. But I fail to comprehend, why at all he went to a circus after all (he might had an assumption that all the "size 0" 'elephantias'(read female elephants) are there in the circus tends!!!, we never know.

    Since it is not my intention to make a post-mortum of the versatile piece, I will go no further in analyzing the essay and at this juncture, I would like to congratulate brother bear for writing something! (may be an anecdote from his real life incidents) rather than lying down and rubbing his hands against the round underbelly of his and snooze...

    And even if the standered of the passage is not as good as the ones which you guys used to read (like the ones I write), my dear reader, please forgive the kid. Give him some more chances, I am pretty sure that he will improve the quality with time, if not that fast. Although to reach the levels set forth by his predisisors like me are too high for him to reach, may the lines of ME may act as a light in his otherwise torn ridden path...

    "Impossible is a difficult word to pronounce, then why to use it at all. Use the easier one although it takes the wit out of you---possible!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this was taken, word for word, from a Reader's Digest article by the name "Come, walk at night!".I'm not sure of the issue, but it was in the early 80's.Research it people if you don't believe me. It was one of my faves and I was searching it when I found this poser!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete